Ask questions and learn!

New User Introductions

Comments

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Administrator, Moderator Posts: 768 admin
    unicron66 said:

Hola amigos....I'm the guy in the right seat with a big smile. 66 Bronco & C1..

Hola

• WookieWookie Member Posts: 6
    Hello all. I am Admin for a large off-road and expedition FB group in the PNW. I look forward to using LeadNav, and bringing more of my group onboard. Happy trail running!!
  • FirePigFirePig Member Posts: 6
    Greetings,

I am a 65 year old motorcycle racer. Been at it off and on since the late 60's. Raced District 37 desert for about 8 years then moved to Northern California. Been racing vintage MX with AHRMA for the past 17 years.

Active duty firefighter, pilot, college instructor, and general goofball.

Running this years NORRA Mexican 1000 on a 2016 KTM 5000 EXC and purchased LeadNav several months ago. However, I will not be using the app for visual navigation but will be using a F2R rallybook, ICO, and Garmin Montana 610t. What I do plan to use the app for is audio prompts. I have bluetooth neckband earbuds and I will carry my iPhone in my backpack running LeadNav. I hope that having LeadNav tell me when something, turns, dangers, etc., is about 15 seconds away I can focus more on staying on whatever trail/road I am on and only look at roll chart when I get the audio prompt.

I am running a PowerBear modular battery on the iPhone that should give me about 8 hours of power.

One question, if I may ask it here, is what settings in my iPhone will save the most about power while still giving my GPS and bluetooth?

Cheers,

Loren
  • bencalderbencalder Guest Posts: 107 ✭✭
    FirePig said:

Greetings,

I am a 65 year old motorcycle racer. Been at it off and on since the late 60's. Raced District 37 desert for about 8 years then moved to Northern California. Been racing vintage MX with AHRMA for the past 17 years.

Active duty firefighter, pilot, college instructor, and general goofball.

Running this years NORRA Mexican 1000 on a 2016 KTM 5000 EXC and purchased LeadNav several months ago. However, I will not be using the app for visual navigation but will be using a F2R rallybook, ICO, and Garmin Montana 610t. What I do plan to use the app for is audio prompts. I have bluetooth neckband earbuds and I will carry my iPhone in my backpack running LeadNav. I hope that having LeadNav tell me when something, turns, dangers, etc., is about 15 seconds away I can focus more on staying on whatever trail/road I am on and only look at roll chart when I get the audio prompt.

I am running a PowerBear modular battery on the iPhone that should give me about 8 hours of power.

One question, if I may ask it here, is what settings in my iPhone will save the most about power while still giving my GPS and bluetooth?

Cheers,

Loren

Hey Loren,

Sounds like you've got a lot of experience. We're glad to have you running LeadNav. Looking forward to meeting you down at NORRA.

To start, turn your phone to airplane mode. Then manually turn Bluetooth back on and connect to your earbuds.

In the Settings app, tap on Notifications. Go down the list of every app listed there and disable notifications for every app (assuming you don't need them during the race).

Next, also in the Settings app, tap on Privacy, then Location Services. Scroll through the list of apps and find any that are set to 'Always'. Disable them. (Make sure you don't disable LeadNav!)

Doing those things should extend the life of your battery and help LeadNav run as smoothly as possible. Let us know if you have any more questions. Thanks!
    Thanks Ben. Looking forward to meeting you and the LeadNav team in Ensenada.
    Ben,

Used the settings you recommended and tested last night running LeadNav, repeating approaching turn just down the street every couple of minutes, and earbuds. Got over 10 hours and still looks like it would go another hour or two.

Thanks.
  • Cododd44Cododd44 Member Posts: 1
    Finally back at again. Its been a entire year since last raced and looking forward to using lead nav again seating in the TT 44. I couldnt thank Damian enough for all the help in 2015 and 2016 while we were prerunning down in Baja getting ready for some of the biggest races in offroad. As I can see lead nav has upgraded and have made many upgrades since I last used the system.
    Cant wait to try it out and see all the improvements. Thanks again
  • RDOChrisRDOChris Member Posts: 1
    Hola from hell - El Centro, Ca. Looking forward to learning this program and creating some good maps to run from.
  • SmlarkinSmlarkin Member Posts: 2
    What's up everyone my name is Shawn from Vegas. Just started using Leadnav about a month ago and still learning how it all works. I love everything about it even got the Dual 160 and the upgraded base maps to help out using with my IPhone and IPad mini. I'm not a pro racer by any means just get out on the weekends and have fun with the family and friends. Any tips would be much appreciated. IPad mini is only wifi and doesn't seem to work very good with refreshing or seeing the terrain. Also is there a way to bring up old tracks? My LeadNav app was accidentally erased on my phone and when I re-downloaded it all my previous data was lost. I can't find is you can log in anywhere that stores it. After reading in the forums I think I figured out how to get the Dual 160 to work but still is glitchy, always have problems with my phone staying connected to it. Very excited to really learn more about this system. Thanks for reading
    Smlarkin said:

What's up everyone my name is Shawn from Vegas. Just started using Leadnav about a month ago and still learning how it all works. I love everything about it even got the Dual 160 and the upgraded base maps to help out using with my IPhone and IPad mini. I'm not a pro racer by any means just get out on the weekends and have fun with the family and friends. Any tips would be much appreciated. IPad mini is only wifi and doesn't seem to work very good with refreshing or seeing the terrain. Also is there a way to bring up old tracks? My LeadNav app was accidentally erased on my phone and when I re-downloaded it all my previous data was lost. I can't find is you can log in anywhere that stores it. After reading in the forums I think I figured out how to get the Dual 160 to work but still is glitchy, always have problems with my phone staying connected to it. Very excited to really learn more about this system. Thanks for reading

Welcome to the forum.

Please bump this over to the appropriate category after/if signed in as a member...

Backup your LEADNAV work to a dropbox account, email or your computer through iTunes if you would like to prevent losing work in the future.

All background map i imagery must be saved/stored to your device before going off the grid (no cellular or wifi environment)....nothing to do with wifi only iPad.... if maps are not "keeping up or showing....they were not saved/prepped using the download map type tool thats part of the subscription packs.

If your bluetooth device is having trouble staying connected...it could be a number of things outside of LEADNAV... example you have a dozen other bluetooth devices in memory that need to be forgotten....you left wifi turned on...the puck needs updated using their own "Sky Pro Tool app"....your iPad is older or needs updated...

Again ask away in the appropriate category and be sure to watch the 3 part race prep videos and quick guide under our website support page!

• SlowMo71SlowMo71 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, Ill be using the app mostly for overlanding and saving points of interest on excursions. Hoping to become proficient with the app. A couple days in and everything seems pretty simple so far. Thanks LeadNav.
  • mcgaughy49mcgaughy49 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    My name is Mike and I live in the Sierra foothills. Using LeadNav for photography, exploring and off-road race spectating. Great product!!!

Hi
    My name is Mike and I live in the Sierra foothills. Using LeadNav for photography, exploring and off-road race spectating. Great product!!!

Awesome B)

• BajaJonesBajaJones Member Posts: 1

Before you start contributing to our community please introduce yourself.

Hi Jones here, Baja Jones.
    Been on a Lowerance gps since Lowran C. Part of the Team Locos Mocos providing remote pit support for Baja Races for over 20 years. Just retired and having fun exploring the world, God willing.
    Excited to run the peninsula next week using Leadnav for the first time. Planning a trip to the tip of Argentina in the near future.
    See y'all down south.
    Jones
  • RyanSRyanS Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I bought LeadNav to use in the 1000 this year after looking over Terry Madden's shoulder last year. No more fishfinder for us!
  • GrantguffeyGrantguffey Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for developing a great product! I am a previous user of Lowrance products and am looking forward to using Leadnav as my new mapping product.
  • ckymaciasckymacias Member Posts: 1
    New Member and just had the pleasure of using this app during the baja 1000 this last week. And I can't say enough good things about this app! Can't wait to become a pro at using this app!

• PopeyePopeye Member Posts: 3
    Hello from Southern California, looking forward to new rides
  • TrunksTrunks Member Posts: 1
    Hey, all. Just exploring the capabilities of LeadNav right now. Have been active in rec and competition rock crawling for many years. Had been making the trek to CA over the years from MN to crew for Ultra4 teams, and finally moved to NorCal last year.

Will be right-seating in 6100 TT spec this season, and hoping to expand nav logistics with LeadNav. To start, we will likely run hybrid with a conventional GPS for course map and LeadNav for course alerts.
  • Cgmacd3Cgmacd3 Member Posts: 1
    New Member here Chris MacDonald from Northern California...just ordered a new 10.5 Pro iPad which I am excited about. Looking to set up a chase rig for Norra 18 with the Ipad? We are not a big team just weekend warriors! Little nervous trying something new besides Lowrance.......At this point I am looking for lead Nav in Chase truck so guys can simply see the race course? Set it and forget it.....Truck turns on Leadnav comes on and theres the race course? Any suggestions on turorials for loading a race course or how to practice at home just driving around...sorry for long winded intro!
  • NcnukeNcnuke Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, Newbie here; Im a Baja Chaser and motorcycle thrasher and crasher. Been supporting the Desert Assassins for about 7 years, introducing me to the fun and challenge of Off Road Navigation... Living in the Nor Cal central valley with the wife and pups. 53 and getting back in to desert riding - KOM/KOH week this year using your great product for the first time... BRAAAAPPP! See you there!
  • Jk_southpawJk_southpaw Member Posts: 1
    Hello Every one New here and cant wait to start nerding out on this software
  • LiquidAiderLiquidAider Member Posts: 2
    Hello, new member here and I'm considering racing the Mexican 1000 in April 2018 on a bike. I saw a lot of people recommending LeadNav for race navigation (on Race-deZert). Still downloading to my iPhone, and will start learning tomorrow!
  • TOwenTOwen Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone. I'm a new member running LeadNav with overlays on an Ipad Pro in a Polaris RZR. I ride both Arizona and CA and am prepping to run the 750 mile AZ Peace Trail over 5 days with a group of 8 RZR's. I'm going to use LeadNav to ensure we don't get lost and see all the good stuff others have already discovered and shared in downloadable files.
  • dedmistondedmiston Member Posts: 10
    Hello Forum,

I'm Dave Edmiston. I've used a little Garmin on my handlebars for ages, but now I'm graduating to LeadNav on an iPad in our SxS. I just set everything up this week and we're going out for our first trip with the nav installed this weekend.

Thanks for answering my New Guy questions. I've been playing with the app for the past 48 hours so I don't have to try to geek out while I drive. Fingers crossed. We're camping in an unfamiliar area this weekend, so this will be a good test.

Thanks again,
    Dave
  • PeteCatePeteCate Member Posts: 1
    New guy here. First race in 3 weeks, need to get this figured out lol..
  • nickwincovnickwincov Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all. Nick from North Carolina. Just downloaded LeadNav a few days ago for a race coming up this week. Looking forward to learning more about it and will probably recommend it at work some of our teams.
  • JJIglesiasJJIglesias Member Posts: 2
    New member, from Bolivia in South America, UTV Rider and OpenStreetMap Legendary Mapper
    email [email protected]
  • RichardRichard Member Posts: 3
    Hello! Just joined, first post. I think the app is great. So far I've only used it for day hikes, but it has been really accurate and route planning is easy.
  • kochdavidracingkochdavidracing Member Posts: 1
    Good afternoon all,
    I am a new member looking to improve our GPS set up in our class 1 car that we run in BITD, SNORE, MORE, occasionally SCORE. I have used lead nav before and it was great however it was not our system. Now we have our own set up and looking to get back on track. Any tips, tricks, or help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for providing a great system LeadNav