Ask questions and learn!

iPhone 6s Screen Dimming

I recently purchased leadnav for use on an iPhone 6 Plus. The first thing that I noticed was that the screen automatically dims until you touch it. I had similar issues with other NAV software in the past until trying GPS Motion-X. Is there a way to STOP the app from automatically dimming the screen? This is a major issue for me when navigating solo.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Administrator, Moderator Posts: 762 admin
  • sroedersroeder Member Posts: 3
    Hi Admin, Sorry I have to disagree with you here. The screen is not locking, it is "dimming" to the point where you can't see it. If you touch the screen it goes bright again. This does not happen with Motion-X so it is something in how the app is interacting with the phone. Perhaps the other app is overriding the auto-lock on the iphone.

Also, the note above refers to a "NEVER" option in the auto-lock. This is no longer an option in the latest IOS.
    I am currently running Never lock on my iPhone 6 with the latest iOS. So this is still an option. The dimming is in your device settings. Motion x could run a over ride to kill this setting as it does with the auto lock but we do not...for security reason with some of our professional organizations.
    Go to Setting > General > Auto lock and confirm its set to never..as this is still an option..and we will troubleshoot your settings from there. You stating that this is no longer an option kind of has me second guessing that your in this mode.
    I am 100% sure this is a setting in your phone as we have LEADNAV being professionally used on 1,000's of iPads and iPhones for long periods of time..up to 24 hours straight..this is either a brightness setting or your device is most likely auto locking.
    FYI..the only exception to auto lock would be if your iPhone was setup for work with an Exchange account which could stop you from choosing never. This is a security feature
    Go to Settings > Battery > and insure Power save is turned off as this will block you from using Never Lock
  • sroedersroeder Member Posts: 3
    OK. I suspect you are correct on the exchange profile. Our company pushes a policy for exchange that likely disables this. The maximum is 5 minutes on my phone.

I have checked the auto-dimming and that was disabled. Actually this was my first check when I ran into this.

TBH I think it should be an option to override the auto-lock. While it can be a security feature, it is also a usability issue. For me it is a show stopper unless I can have a second phone for my work email profile. Something I am not keen on.

It would be great if you could put this in as a feature request.
    We will look into this feature.

However being heavily involved in military app development, I can tell you that this is currently an issue in all of our military navigation apps when trying to run it on a command issue'd device. These devices running an exchange server and go through great lengths to insure that the device is not left open. Even if Motion X is currently getting away with this I almost guarantee it is unknown by the Exchange software and Apple. So it is only time before they kill this feature. Any work around we develop would just be shut down when discovered.

We currently run Tablets and Smartphones dedicated to our navigation systems as our exchange command devices will not allow some forms of file sharing as well.

We have requested our IT department to turn off the Never Lock restriction and this is something they can definetly do, however it is there for a reason. To protect company and government data. So we get denied for good reason.

If you work somewhere where security is not a big issue and this was just thrown into your phone as a Default setting, They might just turn this restriction off.
  • shrekshrek Member Posts: 1
    Has there been any progress on this. For example my Waze app has a "prevent auto-lock" button that will stop this from happening when Waze is open. Does Leadnav have that funtionality yet? If it does I cannot find it.