Ask questions and learn!

Download Tiles - Multiple Devices

Hey there. I am prepping for Baja like many others. Trying to get map tiles downloaded on all of our devices for chase trucks, prerunners, etc is taking forever (especially with our older devices). Is there a way to create a single file to transfer to the devices with all the map imagery we need? Thought I saw a way at one point on creating these on a computer and then transferring but I can’t find that now.

Comments

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Administrator, Moderator Posts: 768 admin
    edited November 2020
    Almost everyone lays out the devices and saves imagery to each as authorized by our map providers. We may be coming out with a way to store that save process into your collection in the future. That way on the other devices you can just hit a single save to start the process.

However you should be using pro packs “save along Route” feature with the google hybrid custom map type plugged in for 18 zoom / 250-500meters each side of the Route line.

Chase iPads can just save 15 zoom tiles around the area and with pro those tiles can be 1 gig. So you will only need a dozen of those.

This doesn’t take long at all...maybe an hour

This is his the majority do it...but yes there are more complex ways on a capable high end gaming computer that can handle mass saving. For this we use a program called MOBAC.

This is not a clear cut easy process...once “hacked” together....when done correctly this can save large areas into a MBTile.

I’ve had our computer running for two days pulling this file that is around 30 gigs.

We train groups to do this and provide this as a service. Typically we are $2k a day for consulting and support. An area of this size being around $4k.

We may make this trip package available under bulk pricing as we are racing it ourselves but undecided as it’s hard to get you a 30 gig file online.

But, there is no reason as saving it out as authorized and available by our map providers isn’t that hard, how 99% of all race teams do it. The other route through our consulting and training better suited and priced for our contracted groups working continuously off the grid year round.
  • arobertsmitharobertsmith Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2020
    Thanks. I’ll check that out.

I’m having huge delays on downloads. I use an iPhone 7 for my on the bike device and it’s going on day 3 of downloading 18 level / 100m save along route option

I selected a level 16 / 150m option for chase truck iPad Pro 9.7” and it’s on day two.

I have 300-400 Mbps download speeds. So that’s not a huge issue
    edited November 2020
    I know it’s due to the older devices, but i don’t remember it being this bad last year when I prepped. My iPhone X, and iPad pro 11 work quickly, so I don’t know if the new software version‘s are just too much for those devices?

I just heard about MOBAC. How much work is it to get started doing the MOBAC packages to distribute to my devices?
    We are phasing out MapBox so assuming you’re trying to download Mapbox...

We are partnering with ESRI so world imagery is recommended.

However neither is good past 16 zoom in Baja so this is why we typically plug google hybrid in as a custom map type.

MOBAC is free...learning it is on you or we run multiple day training courses to cover it.
    > @arobertsmith said:
    > I know it’s due to the older devices, but i don’t remember it being this bad last year when I prepped. My iPhone X, and iPad pro 11 work quickly, so I don’t know if the new software version‘s are just too much for those devices?
    >
    > I just heard about MOBAC. How much work is it to get started doing the MOBAC packages to distribute to my devices?

Devices like computers...get older and phase out. They eventually stop keeping up with the updates. They could definitely slow year to year.
    edited November 2020
    Yeah. Definitely get that. Devices age and depreciate usefulness. It is likely a combination of newer software demands and the mapbox element. Hard to keep several devices all current when supplying chase vehicles plus prerunner, etc.

Thanks for the google link. I’ll try that. The imagery looks great on that map link. I’ll see if they download at a faster rate than the map box stuff.
    edited November 2020
    Yea if you were trying to save zooms lower than 16 (17-18) in Baja under Mapbox or ESRI, they just don’t have the coverage down there. So you’d be wasting time trying as those levels will be blank/black. That GH map link has better coverage.

Also if saving along Route, 500 meters either side, max. I know 1000 either side is an option but that’s just way too much too handle for a single 1000 mile route line.

You could also cut out the route into 2-3 individual legs to do saves along each versus the whole thing...but if you do 250-500 meters either side in 18 it shouldn’t be too bad. If it locks up just tap somewhere to quit it and re tap the tile label to continue the process till complete

Also side note, be sure to wipe out the old cache of maps. If you start piling up maps of different areas around the world things will start to struggle. You are intended to prep and save for a single trip. Some folks continuously build up maps till things go nuts.
    Also, with devices, things have gotten a lot better since the pro releases and starting with the Air 3 iPad. The power and speed of these and the newer iPads is ridiculous and at a level now that these devices should give you a solid 4-6 years or even more. Prior to these the iPads were right on that minimum level of performance to keep up with our capabilities.
    Thanks Damian. The google hybrid is working much better, even on the older devices. I had already done the purge. I learned that recently as I had some issues with the app crashing from all the imagery I piled up. So I only keep my local area downloaded plus whatever trip data I need.

And yes, I have seen the improvement of hardware. I'll have to work some new iPad airs into the budget for next year. Its easy to forget that even though Leadnav is 'just a gps app' that it does a ton of heavy lifting in the background and needs decent hardware to run it well.

Thanks for your help and for the Google Hybrid link. Good luck to your team for the 1000!