Ask questions and learn!

Larger map down loads in adv map pack

I have spent countless hours down loading tiles to my device. I know at 10g is slows down the device. I ride multiple areas a year. I have downloaded Glamis, Dove Springs, Hungry Valley, Barstow, and Wagon Wheel. You had intended this for backcountry. The size of zoom level flat out sucks. If I exploring a new area. I have tile download what I might think I need to explore. I need to down load at zoom 18 to really be able to explore. What the point of the satellite images if I can't tell where I am going. I can't just delete an area. Each area I have at least 2 hours of down loading. I am not going to spend 1 hr deleteing an area just to download it next time I go. I know you guys are focusing racing. But for backcountry support I think your lacking. It would be nice that at zoom level 16 square I could tell it to scale down to 18. That would cut the tiles I have down loaded by 4. Then I might be willing to delete an area that I not going back to for a while.

Comments

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Administrator, Moderator Posts: 768 admin
    Archetype said:

I have spent countless hours down loading tiles to my device. I know at 10g is slows down the device. I ride multiple areas a year. I have downloaded Glamis, Dove Springs, Hungry Valley, Barstow, and Wagon Wheel. You had intended this for backcountry. The size of zoom level flat out sucks. If I exploring a new area. I have tile download what I might think I need to explore. I need to down load at zoom 18 to really be able to explore. What the point of the satellite images if I can't tell where I am going. I can't just delete an area. Each area I have at least 2 hours of down loading. I am not going to spend 1 hr deleteing an area just to download it next time I go. I know you guys are focusing racing. But for backcountry support I think your lacking. It would be nice that at zoom level 16 square I could tell it to scale down to 18. That would cut the tiles I have down loaded by 4. Then I might be willing to delete an area that I not going back to for a while.

First off welcome to the forum and to LeadNav.

To understand why things are the way they are you need to understand that saving satellite maps to your device is provided by an outside company called MapBox. We pay them per tile that you
    Download. This is a "rental service" for you. They allow you to save up to 30 gigs per account. The 20 dollars a year covers this level of capability....and barely as it sounds you are using this at a higher level...Our Pro Pack lets you "save along route" allowing our racers to save along an entire 1200 mile route line with a click of a button...hence the $150 a year to cover this larger amount of download capability.

Most people store areas before they leave to go there with MapBox then scrub the cache before traveling elsewhere.

Mapbox is the only official and approved way for you to save satellite maps to your device. It was a big blessing when this company came along.

Now... There are more advanced ways to do what your trying to do. We spend a lot of time training up organizations and people who run group tours as it sounds you are doing.

We offer MBtiles integration and have enterprise mapping solutions..dedicated servers for paying companies and we pull current map imagery with drones and aircraft for large areas.

While all that is probably over the top for what you are looking for...the current MapBox is the absolute best solution in existence.

MBtiles however can be learned with some searching on the Internet... I suggest looking into a free computer program called MOBAC. This can be used to make single MBTiles of areas to be brought in and out of LeadNav through iTunes and a laptop or PC when needed by just dragging a single file. Additional map sources can be found for this program online...

What we can do is possibly offer another level of subscription to cover the cost of being able to select larger areas in one tile.. Maybe we can up the cost of Pro Pack or add this feature to it. We will discuss this with the team.

Thanks for your interest in LeadNav.