Ask questions and learn!

What is the best way to transfer all my map info to my new iPad Pro from my iPad

anyone have any suggestions on the best way to make this happen since LeadNav doesn't seem to work with iCloud... i have approximately 14 gig of map data to transfer.

this should be a feature of LeadNav Pro at the very least, shouldn't it?

Chris
Post edited by chrisloomis on

Comments

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Administrator, Moderator Posts: 760 admin
    Chris

I assume you are talking about saved Mapbox Satellite, terrain and street Map Imagery that you have saved? not Collections?.....

Saving map imagery to your device comes from an outside company called Mapbox which happens to be the only company that legally offers you this capability under subscription. When you buy our in app purchase of map sub or Pro pack you are primarily paying for this service as we pay Mapbox for your downloads...

In fact right now the additional $150 a year cost of Pro is entirely going toward the added ability to "save along route" which allows you to save larger races easily....

We actually have not yet put a price tag on all the primary Pro features because we currently don't offer any public documentation on the use of these features outside of "save along route" ....and it is currently being finalized into its final version...."How to use" Pro is currently only offered through our LeadNav Race Advantage training and consulting in which every single team we've worked with has realized the endless possibilities..and requested ongoing consulting and support at races.

Back to the question...

When you subscribe to Map Sub or Pro that particular device is registered to Mapbox to allow downloads. Right now there is no approved way to share these saved map imagery tiles device to device. However we are starting to work with Mapbox on possible options...not out of the question ....to see sharing saved maps from device to device in the future....as long as they are on the same iTunes account...that is our goal.

Right now the only option is to line up the ipads...hit save along route on each one...and bill us! Haha.. So trust us were working on it!

Thanks for the question!
  • chrisloomischrisloomis Member Posts: 18
    1st of all i am a Pro subscriber and this is for my new ipad and they are on the same iTunes account since they are both mine
    so are you saying my only method is to respend the 100 man hours i spent the 1st time?
    pretty easy to say when its not your time on the line
    100 man hours?! That's a lot of hand tiling! Again unfortunately yes...these tiles are on loan to you through the subscription with Mapbox. They are registered to that device through their services. If they let you share their tiles freely from device to device they couldn't control it...again we are discussing options but right now they are the only game in town..until ur ready to go a bit more advanced...more to follow..

The intention of saving maps for offline use is typically So one can save them per event...race or outing..then deleting for the next "off the grid" event.. Once you hit a 10-15 gb cache size you may start to experience delays... So typically we save for an event and go...deleting when we get back and prepping for the next..

Not sure what you have saved that took 100 hours? Guessing an entire area like the Baja peninsula?....in that case we use a more complicated mapping solution of computer collection and the "mbtiles" capabilities in LeadNav... This is something you can learn about through software like Mobac. Which is free but complicated....

These larger area mbtiles are saved in a single file format that can be airdropped device to device...

This is a service we provide through the LeadNav Race Advantage to our supported teams and chase crews per race.

However....Save along route is a ground breaking method of storing map imagery along extremely long routes...like the Baja 1000... and a 90% solution for most looking to get the job done "automatically" without spending a ton of time hand tiling..

so you are saying if my iPad breaks then i will have to buy a new subscription?

pretty easy to say when its not your time on the line

We spend a lot of time doing this....it's our job...when we do this for teams...like the Herbst...we line up their ipads for the upcoming event..hit save along route for say...the entire Baja 1000...hit save on all of them...and let it eat... Then we might go back n save 3-4 larger zoom overview tiles and it's done...yes this might take all night to collect but only 30 min of actual labor... This is the absolute best system out there for doing this at an easy level of understanding.....find another better and we will for sure implicate it!

Again dozen other ways to do very large detailed low zoom area maps but that is at an advanced....powerful computer running for a week straight...and above the normal operator level..

so you are saying if my iPad breaks then i will have to buy a new subscription?

No...your subscriptions good through multiple devices...under that iTunes account...just like pro...the maps you saved on one right now are not authorized to be shared to each...

Again we are working on this.....trust us if and when we can do this it would be in our best interests....cause we are getting the bill for each iPad u save on...your just paying one price for every iPad you have haha..
    1st of all i don't run races so there is no race team here, i realize this is a nice system... that's why i got it

you seem to have a single use case in mind and my use is different than races, i am just a dumb Jeeper who wants all the maps i can get in an area that has a hundred or more trails in an area that's 50 miles x 50 miles so i downloaded all the tiles.

it would be nice to know these limiting factors up front since at the time i didn't even think to ask if a basic feature like restore my data was possible... i didn't ask Dell either if i could back up my files in case my computer broke.
    i don't really care to debate this any longer, can i trust that when this feature comes available i will hear about it?

one additional thing it wouldn't be to tough to have files that expire on your contract end date... google does it on their downloadable maps.
    LeadNav is developed towards everything racing and backcountry. Off-roading especially. I apologize for the misunderstanding on what Pro is for..we will double check the write up in the in app subscriptions and adjust. Pro itself is in fact a branch off of LeadNav GPS specifically geared toward off-road racing and event setup. You can get a refund on pro by contacting Apple....

Sounds like all you need is LeadNav and possibly the advanced pack...which unfortunately still doesn't give you the capability you seek of sharing saved maps from device to device.. We will look at the wording on this as well and tweak but I think the misunderstanding is in knowing Mapboxes guidelines..which are not LeadNavs...in that you are caching / loaning maps to your iPad.. They aren't yours..so they won't let you share them...I know your seeing it as you did all this work and you should be able to spread them to all ur devices..and we are seeing it this way as well...hence us working on getting them to approve this..

Still a 50 by 50 mile area was never intended...that's huge! Even when using Pro save along route for 1000-1300 mile routes were only saving 250-500 meters on either side of the route line so it doesn't tally up to a 50x50!

If that's the size you need the MOBAC and mbtiles is a system you will want to learn..

Again apologize...we work with jeepers, expeditionary teams, hunters, hikers everyday...saying you had Pro made me assume you were a racer..

i don't really care to debate this any longer, can i trust that when this feature comes available i will hear about it?

one additional thing it wouldn't be to tough to have files that expire on your contract end date... google does it on their downloadable maps.

You will definitely hear about it and so will the world...we're breaking ground on a lot of navigation capabilities and that will be another first...

We're talking about an outside company here and their rules...not LeadNav.

People get extremely sensitive when it comes to "satellite imagery"....

Hence Google and Bing pulling the plug on dozens of mapping and navigation apps a few years ago... I've personally dealt with these mapping agencies on the subject... Collecting and "owning" satellite imagery is their bread and butter...

We're just thankful Mapbox came out with a service to store it offline at all!
    I never thought the maps were mine to keep I assumed that if I paid the $150 per year I could use them as long as I kept the subscription... I don't have a problem with that at all
    Appreciate the input..we will use it to steer forward..if they don't let us share it among devices..maybe we can add a large area selection feature for Pro..to at least make it easier to do ..