Ask questions and learn!

Mileage changes when zooming?

Building some trails for an off-road excursion and noticed when zooming in and out the mileage is changing, this concerns me as we need to know our mileage for planning purposes. What would be causing this?

Answers

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 661Administrator, Moderator admin
    We are looking into this as it appears to mis calculate at higher zooms. We will work on this with our next update.

However just note, that LEADNAV projects routes on a "flat earth" model and does not take elevation or terrain into its calculation.

For heavier terrain study and planning we try to use something like Google Earth (30 meter elevation increments) or at a military level Lidar terrain models (1 meter to 15cm terrain models), then bump that line over to LEADNAV by converting it to GPX.

Even with these you are not going to be super accurate in your distances as there could be a lot going on in Googles 30 meter marks.

This is why you will see distance differences between GPS units and software.

This all has to be accounted for when planning on any system. The only true way to get a distance accurately is by driving it with an accurate odometer.
  • Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 661Administrator, Moderator admin
    As far as LEADNAV I am not seeing it jump until you are up at zoom 9. Everything below that is consistant. So I am guessing there is a calc bug above that level that we will have to take a look at. Until then I would go with the constant distance shown from zoom 10-18.
  • JimmykinsJimmykins Posts: 12Member
    Thanks for the quick reply!