Ask questions and learn!

Dual XGPS and Moto set-up

Racing the Baja 1000 this year . I’m running the basic set up on an IPhone 8 in my backpack with an earbud for audio prompts . I’m looking to add the XGPS onto my bike ( plugged in via usb wired into bike ) any issue with Bluetooth staying connected while my phone is in my backpack and the XGPS mounted off of a fender ? Any other issues I could run into with a setup like this ? Thank you !

Comments

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 652Administrator, Moderator admin
    Recommend iPhone to the handlebars with a RAM xgrip like on our store running to a USB direct 3.1 line to battery.

You don’t necessarily need a puck with that setup and generally with the hundreds of folks running this on bikes in races they just utilize the built in phone gps versus worrying about mounting and charging another piece of equipment.

Then a set of Scala rider Bluetooth syncs with custom ear mold into ear. I say a set because they run for about 6-8 hours. If your a solo rider you will need chase team to swap and sync units at pits. If multiple riders then they will just need to sync when they get on bike.

Obviously with all that prerunning in audio notes from home between LEADNAV and google earth on a computer and in the field is key.
    Lastly... Life proof case on phone and a ruggedized “stock” Apple cable. Also a good idea to carry a Backup battery pack on you and a few with chase in case for some reason your charging system shits the bed. You can also get an extra usb 3.1. If that usb goes bad you can swap connect the usb itself at its connector.
  • Dustin735xDustin735x Posts: 7Member
    Damian - The reason for the phone in the backpack, there was just entirely too much going on in the cockpit area , plus I’m running a Garmin as well for redundancy. I don’t have an issue charging the XGPS as I already have the USB mounted on the bike . I guess my question is , I live and train in some VERY heavily wooded areas of WA , and at times the leadnav doesn’t seem to stay on pace with me ( I get to a turn before the audio prompt alerts me, I’m assuming since it’s only updating 1 time per second) would I mitigate this by running the XGPS 160 in Baja , where’s its not thick woods ? Thank you for the fast responses 🇺🇸
    Understand but not thick woods in Baja and I would personally pull the Garmin n rather have the solid red line on LEADNAV on the handlebars. Or run both.

Hell we ran iPad minis on the bars early on...if you put the prerunning work in then it’s less visual and more audio but nice to glance down and see that LEADNAV screen.

My suggestion is ditch the Garmin or run both (there is room)

Personally we’ve never ran a gps puck on a bike for Baja but if you can do it clean with no power or cable issues that’s up to you.

iPads in the early days we did for folks who don’t prerun a lot.

There is room for sure