Ask questions and learn!

I need to export a leadnav gpx to A garmin device.

Falco1965Falco1965 Posts: 6Member
edited March 27 in New Member Introductions
I’m trying to convert a leadnav file to my garmin when I load it all I get is a bizilion waypoints. Is there anyway to fix this or do I have to purchase a $200 subscription for a functional file conversion

Best Answers

Answers

• AussiebajaAussiebaja Posts: 23Member
    Try using basecamp to load your file to the Garmin gps
  • Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 664Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited March 28
    Pro pack has “Export to gps device” which will dumb down Route Files so that the lower performance of a Garmin or Lowrance can handle the file.

It essentially pulls all the Waypoints out of the Route file and turns them into individual Marker points and converts the detailed Route into a simple Track line that those units can handle.

Because of the very large leap in performance that a tablet or smartphone offers over the single purpose gps unit we are really unlimited in point size. Where as those units can only handle usually 20,000 points.

This dumbs it down so you can cross load between them.

As mentioned you can also use other programs to manipulate gps files. A good one is GPS Babel which you can find an overview on here at the forum
  • Falco1965Falco1965 Posts: 6Member
    So my original statement is correct. There is no way to export the “dumbed down version” other than the pro pack. That version is a $200 annual upgrade for a file converter? Yes the pro pack has many other features but for a occasional non professional user those features have very little value. I have multiple stand alone devices that are very useful and better than leadnav in there specific applications. It’s kind of hard to put a tablet on a motorcycle for example. Only allowing export to other devices is a deal killer for me when tablets are unreliable. In the Southwest it gets hot and iPads shut down from overheating during the summer. There is also charging issues on longer trips where even plugged in the tablet will die after 7-8 hrs of nonstop use. Having a stand alone unit as backup is a must in my opinion but the price difference for the file conversion is cost preventative
    > @Aussiebaja said:
    > Try using basecamp to load your file to the Garmin gps

I did that and the file is a massive list of waypoints. Nothing that’s actually usable for tracks or routes on other platforms. It’s quite useless.
    Hello again. Is there a way to directly export a gpx from the iPad yet. Or upload for that matter using a usb adaptor or similar. It would be helpful to be able to export new tracks to a sd card directly for use on other devices used by different drivers in my group