Ask questions and learn!

GPS connectivity issues

I attempted to use LeadNav GPS instead of my usual Gaia GPS for a backcountry offroad off-the-grid run over the weekend. I have a 128GB iPad Air 2 with a Bad Eld Pro GPS puck and even though the Bad Elf Pro successfully paired with the iPad it did not appear that the data stream from the Bad Elf was being used. IPad is up-to-date running iOS 8.4.1. Any Ideas on this?

Comments

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Administrator, Moderator Posts: 739 admin

I attempted to use LeadNav GPS instead of my usual Gaia GPS for a backcountry offroad off-the-grid run over the weekend. I have a 128GB iPad Air 2 with a Bad Eld Pro GPS puck and even though the Bad Elf Pro successfully paired with the iPad it did not appear that the data stream from the Bad Elf was being used. IPad is up-to-date running iOS 8.4.1. Any Ideas on this?

LeadNav works directly with the Dual XGPS160 and its developers to ensure its running at top performance. Because we can put their code directly into LeadNav this bypasses any problems introduced by Apple and their iOS updates.

If you do some searching you will find that iOS8 introduced a bunch of bluetooth issues specifically effecting Bluetooth GPS devices. However this bug was minimized by us and DUAL working together. Although Apple claims the Bluetooth bugs have been fixed recently they still exist.

Bad Elf is not a reliable GPS device in our opinion and has never been a product we spent time tuning for.

The Dual XGPS160 is highly recommended at the professional level we cater to.
  • velociraptorvelociraptor Member Posts: 5
    It works fine with Gaia GPS but I will look at getting a XGPS160 puck.
  • GschrisGschris Member Posts: 3
    Any idea about comparability with the Garmin GLO?
  • Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Administrator, Moderator Posts: 739 admin
    We currently run the XGPS160 exclusively with its code baked into LEADNAV to optimize its performance over the standard connection. This allowed us to avoid a Bluetooth problem last year when all pucks stopped working with the latest iOS update. If we integrate another puck it will be the XGPS150 but currently the XGPS160 is the best performing puck on the market.