Ask questions and learn!

How to map out roads/trails, save them for future use, and have app show me how to get back...

New to Leadnav, purchased iPad 4 mini for the sole purpose of using this app in conjunction with my RZR.
Bought app, bought $20 map pack (although I am uncertain if I actually needed it).
I plan to go to a camping area where I know there are about 100 miles of abandoned logging roads (The stock app Bing Map is wildly inaccurate for this area from what I have seen thus far...but they tried, plus I work for Microsoft so I cannot be too harsh on Bing), trails, etc. I plan to start at my camping area, explore these roads/trails with my RZR. I have downloaded the area (tiles or whatever it is called) so that I can turn on Airplane mode (save battery). My hope is that I will map out all of the roads/trails, then be able to tell the app to take me back to my camping spot. I will want to revisit many of these areas in the future as well.

For the most part, I want this to act like a Garmin once I have all the roads mapped out. I will want to select a destination and have the app tell me how to get there following the roads/trails I have mapped out.

Part of me thinks I may have purchased the wrong app for the job as it seems this app is geared more for the advanced user, racer, etc. than for a very casual user like myself. If that is the case, it is my fault and I will find another app...lesson learned.

This app looks great, although I really wish it came with a user guide as I don't even know what some of the icons on the screen are doing. I push one icon (lower left) and nothing happens. I push another icon and the map spins 180deg...but why? What is it actually doing?

For simple navigation I picked a location and told the app to take me there (Picked a "Collection" that I have set up for my forthcoming trip, this collection includes some markers that I set up just to see how it would work once I am driving on that road, then inside the collection I can select "route", "tracks", and "markers". I selected route and named it "test"...nothing happens. I selected "tracks" named it "test", again nothing happens. I then selected "markers" and then selected "go to" and selected one of the markers I created. The app drew a straight line to that marker on my map. I was expecting turn by turn instructions similar to a Garmin.

I feel I am really missing the boat here and would LOVE some step by step instructions on how to do this.

TL/DR
Please explain this as if explaining it to a child.
How do I drive around and map out a bunch of roads/trails, while in airplane mode, and have the app tell me how to navigate on these roads to reach a destination of my choosing?

In a forthcoming episode of noob asking noobish questions, I will ask where to find trail maps for this thing so that when I visit ORV parks, Oregon/Idaho Sand Dunes, etc. I can have a map, plan my trip, and have the app tell me how to get back to my campsite! I have tried Google, clearly I do not know what to look for. :)

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• bencalderbencalder Posts: 103Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited July 17
    Hey @cmcilrath,

Apologies for the belated reply. We've been away from the office for a few days taking advantage of some downtime during the short race offseason.

LeadNav can do everything you've listed above. Let's get you going.

My first question for you: is your iPad Mini 4 a cellular model? I assume so, but I want to be sure. If it's wifi-only you'll need to get yourself an XGPS160 Bluetooth GPS receiver in order for the app to know your current location.

As you've seen, LeadNav organizes everything within collections. Each collection represents an area or an event. A collection is made up of three things: markers, tracks, and routes.

Markers are points of interest. They don't exist for any real navigational purpose, but are ideal for noting places that the user may want to be aware of during a journey. You might drop a marker for a gas station, a gate, a deer feeder, etc.

Tracks are breadcrumb-style recordings of your path. Most collections are based upon a set of track recordings. They show up as blue lines in the LeadNav UI. The intention of recording a track in LeadNav is generally to convert it to a route, but they can also be simply used as static/"dumb" lines on the map.

Record a track:

1) Tap Menu
    2) Select an existing collection or create a new one by tapping New, then name it, then tap OK
    3) Tap the red record button at the bottom of the Menu, then tap OK
    4) Walk/bike/drive the path you want to record (you will see the blue track line on the screen as you move around as well as the distance and time stats)
    5) To stop recording tap the red record button again then tap Stop

Routes are the foundation of LeadNav. To use LeadNav as intended, you should be spending most of your time building or running routes. A route consists of audio waypoints and serpentine waypoints. Audio waypoints are notes that are left at specific points along a route and are announced to you when you approach them while running the route (e.g. "In 450 meters rock on right", "In 300 feet turn left", "In 3 miles sharp right then stay left"). Serpentine waypoints are standard points that create the shape of the route, but have no turn/obstacle/danger information attached to them. Routes can be built in a couple of different ways.

Build a route from an existing track and add audio waypoints to it:

1) Tap Menu
    2) Select the collection with the track you want to convert
    3) Tap Tracks
    4) Tap the track you want to convert
    5) Scroll the menu up and tap Convert to Route (second row from the bottom)
    6) You should now see a red route line overlapping your blue track line in the main LeadNav map view. Also, note that LeadNav automatically took you to the options view of the new route, instead of requiring you to navigate backwards in the menu, then select Routes, then select your new route.
    7) Scroll up and tap Edit
    8) You are now in Route Builder. In this view you can add to the route, delete from it, or add/edit audio waypoints. When you enter Route Builder, the app automatically centers the map view on the starting point of the route. The last point of the route can be identified by the small blue circle that's drawn around it. (This helps you understand which direction the route runs)
    9) In order to add a waypoint to the end of the route, zoom/move the map to place the crosshair icon that's at the center of the screen on the place that you'd like to add a point (just pick a random spot for now to practice), when you're ready to add the new waypoint tap the Serpentine Waypoint button (squiggly arrow).
    10) To remove that waypoint, tap the Delete Waypoint button (red X). (Be careful to not tap the Delete All Waypoints button (red X with the circle around it))
    11) To add an audio waypoint, tap any existing waypoint in your route then tap Edit in the popup that appears. The audio waypoint menu is now displayed. Tap any of the icons and/or edit the text at the top, then hit Save.
    12) To add a new audio waypoint to the end of the route, move the crosshair icon to the desired location, then tap the Audio Waypoint button (right arrow and speaker icon)
    13) To change an audio waypoint back to a normal (serpentine) waypoint, tap the audio icon and select "Make Serpentine" from the popup.
    14) To exit Route Builder, tap Menu, then tap the back button in the upper left (Routes)

Build a route from scratch:

(if you're doing this directly from the previous list of steps skip to Step 4)
    1) Tap Menu
    2) Select an existing collection or create a new one by tapping New, then name it, then tap OK
    3) Tap Routes
    4) Tap New
    5) Give it a name then tap OK
    6) You are now in Route Builder (the exact same as from Step 8 in the previous list of steps, but your new route has no waypoints yet)
    7) Zoom/move the map to the desired starting point for your route then tap the Audio Waypoint button if you would like to attach an audio note to that point or tap the Serpentine Waypoint button to add a regular waypoint.
    8) Continue adding audio or serpentine waypoints until you've completed building your route
    9) When you're done building, tap Menu, then tap the back button (Routes) to return to the normal UI.

Run a route:

1) Tap Menu
    3) Tap Routes
    4) Tap the route you want to run
    5) Tap Run
    6) You have now entered Route Runner. If your route contains audio waypoints the voice will announce upcoming audio notes when you are 15 seconds away and again when you are 5 seconds away. (The app uses your current speed to calculate the correct time to announce. You could be flying in a jet or walking along the street, it will still announce at 15 and 5 seconds out.)
    7) The app will automatically exit Route Runner when you reach the final waypoint. To exit Route Runner before completing the route, tap Menu, then tap the back button in the upper left (Routes).

That should get you started. Get comfortable with those features and then give us a shout if you have more questions.

Thanks!
    Ben

Edit: formatting
    Post edited by bencalder on