Ask questions and learn!

Satellite Image Color Changes

Hi,

I have a question about the color display of a satellite image on an iPad.

When I first start viewing a satellite image in LeadNav for a desert area (such as an area north of Moab), the satellite image has a lot of brown color to it. As I zoom in and out, or move around the color changes to a lighter, grater color that's a little harder for me to read.

Is there anything I can do to preserve the original color? This happens with both Bing and the LeadNav map satellite images.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• Jeff2016Jeff2016 Posts: 8Member
    Hi,

Sorry this ended up in new member intros. I intended to post it in LeadNav GPS.

Is there any way to move it?

Jeff
    Hey Again,

I'm not sure that the following applies to my question; but, it makes some sense. This came from the following MapBox page:

https://mapbox.com/tilemill/docs/guides/color-correction-rgb-imagery/

Basically at the start of this page it explains that RGB imagery loads in it's natural colors. The layer is then added three more times, first for red, then for green and finally for blue.

I'm not sure that it's possible to display only the natural colors without losing functionality. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff
  • Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 587Administrator, Moderator admin
    Jeff

What your seeing depends on the time of collection and conditions from the satellite. Map box offers an affordable way for the general public to borrow older tiles that they consolidate from donated sources. They splice these together. They run photoshop tools on these to adjust lighting but it really depends on where they came from as we have little control over their product. Each zoom level was most likely collected and processed years apart.

Here is an example of two completely different sources spliced together. These satellite images are most likely years apart. You can see what your talking about here in 1 zoom level together!

As you can see it does not really matter what filter we put on that...and if there was you can be sure a company specializing in map imager, Bing, would have done it.

We could add higher end mapping into LeadNav that offers months old imagery but these services would cost you a few thousand dollars a year. A current quote for us, over a 250 mile route, being $85,000

So until the satellite companies shift their current business model from selling the military aerial maps for billions of dollars...to selling to the civilian population.. well... ha

Things are evolving quickly and you will see improvements in aerial mapping quality I'm sure of it.

In fact we are starting to fly aircraft and drones over areas under contract to pull clean imagery down to 21 zoom for organizations, hunting ranches and events...

Jeff2016 said:

Hey Again,

I'm not sure that the following applies to my question; but, it makes some sense. This came from the following MapBox page:

https://mapbox.com/tilemill/docs/guides/color-correction-rgb-imagery/

Basically at the start of this page it explains that RGB imagery loads in it's natural colors. The layer is then added three more times, first for red, then for green and finally for blue.

I'm not sure that it's possible to display only the natural colors without losing functionality. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Also MapBox is currently switching over their current software to a vector based mapping engine and new map editor suite.. the things in the link you sent are legacy features and we will be working on upgrading to this new map engine once its out of beta.
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

I believe my concern is different.

When I first open LeadNav at a particular location, say for example 15 miles north of Moab, the imagery opens as mostly brown (like the actual color of the desert). As the screen refreshes due to even small movements of the map the colors change. In other words, the color displayed initially is correct (with respect to the real color of the desert); however, the color changes for the same area... it is not stitching, is something that happens as I use LeadNav.

(I believe it also happens with the Bing satellite map feature. I will confirm it this evening.)

Thanks,

Jeff
    Yea not sure what your seeing. Those images come straight from mapbox servers and Bing..
    edited April 2016
    Does the "Brown" colored map ever load completely? Because I am scrolling around Moab right now and what I am seeing is exactly what I'm describing.

You have your "Brown" dark default world map available from zoom level 2-10

then from zoom 11-18 you have a lighter tile

Now if you scroll around quickly in zoom 11-18 any default cached maps from zoom 2-10 will be displayed as the zoom level your on loads (11-18)

This is normal as LeadNav has a small auto cache and the brown is the higher zoom levels that it cached temporally displaying as the current zoom loads.

The "Brown" never focuses up because its a layer from zoom levels 2-10

Again these are two different imagery pulls.

If you use the Map subscription for $20 a year you can save these satellite tiles for offline use. If you do this you won't get that "loading" effect as they are on your device and not relying on your cell or wifi signal.

Obviously without saving you would just see a gray background when going off the grid
    Hi,

That's a great, detailed explanation! Thank you for taking the time to post the explanation along with the screenshots.

I need to look into saving maps. (I did purchase the map subscription.)

Once I save the map, I'm not sure if I understand what to expect for color, brown or gray as I zoom in. I'll give it a try before asking more questions.

Thanks again.

Jeff