Ask questions and learn!

Slow Offline Maps Downloads

chrisloomischrisloomis Posts: 18Member
Hi Guys

i am getting really Slow Offline Maps Downloads.
i have a 150Mdps x 150Mbps connection and i tried all night to download a 7.1 Gig map set and it made it to 2% complete
i restarted it and it is now stuck at 10%... any idea what is going wrong

Thanks... Chris
Post edited by chrisloomis on

Comments

• chrisloomischrisloomis Posts: 18Member
    Please respond i am leaving tomorrow for the trim and going through 128 miles in the desert with no coverage and i still have 7 gig's of maps to download
  • Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 407Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi Guys

i am getting really Slow Offline Maps Downloads.
    i have a 150Mdps x 150Mbps connection and i tried all night to download a 7.1 Gig map set and it made it to 2% complete
    i restarted it and it is now stuck at 10%... any idea what is going wrong

Thanks... Chris

Chris

I talked to you a few times already over email.. but some updates and for everyone else.

Confirmed and everything is up and running fine on our map servers.

I also did some test runs and at 18 zoom and 1,000 meters on either side of a 100 mile route on average internet, I am getting about 1% download every 5 minutes.

18 zoom at 500 meters either side is downloading about twice as fast.

LEADNAV is one of the only programs in existence capable of doing this type of downloading as it takes a ton of horsepower by the device to download and process. This is not like downloading a file. A lot more is going on to geolocate and build this map onto your device. Everything else should be shut down and you will need to monitor the download.

You can expect to have to continue the download once in awhile if this lock up or crash. This is done by just clicking on the tiles label and selecting continue. Things will pick right back up where it left off. Keep going till you hit 100%.

Also if things are climbing for awhile then seem to stop, just tap off to the side of the tile window to stop the download. Then continue it to get things going again.

It is what it is as again we are the only program that is pulling this process off and quite frankly its blowing the minds of even the mapping company and some of the other $30,000 a year navigation software packages we use!

There are also other ways to pull down maps....a lot more advanced and it takes some tech...but LeadNav also runs mbtiles... Google around and you will find a free program for the computer called MOBAC..again...a way advanced method but what we use professionally.
  • phaskphask Posts: 6Member
    I know this is an old post, but has any further advancements for speed at which maps download been made? For example, I am trying to download 2GB of Open Street Maps and after two hours it was 1% on my iPad Pro 9.7", and 107.8MB on my iPad 4 and it is now at 25.1% after running all night. :(
    Map downloads depend on your internet or cellular data speed and the server on the other end where these maps are distributed.

In this case I'm not sure of your internet speeds but Open Street Maps tends to be a slower and older provider.

I would recommend you utilize the much faster and higher quality MapBox Street, Terrain and Satellite provider.

I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks!
    I noticed that doing it on my new iPad Pro was much faster... like 10 or more times faster with the same internet connection ( mine is 500mbps x 500mbps ) and the same for my new iPhone. What would be nice is if LeadNav would allow us an "easy" way to transfer our routs and tracks to a new machine, back in 2016 i was told this might be in a future upgrade
    Speed of the devices processor comes into play as well. If it is a Pro iPad or newer iPhone it will be a lot faster.

Collection and file passing is made easier now through Apples new File app.

Maps stored through the basic in app subscription method will not be allowed to be shared device to device by the provider. In this case mapbox.

To make this easier we use MbTiles built outside of LEADNAV using programs like Mobac to produce and disseminate
    edited April 6
    Having the option to use iCloud storage to sync data between devices would be great. Not sure what type of licensing implications there may be though.

As for MapBox Street, it is already at 1.4% after about 20 minutes. Odd part is, trying to delete the Open Street Maps area that I started to download causes the app to crash over and over.
    Maps stored through the basic in app subscription method will not be allowed to be shared device to device by the provider. In this case mapbox.

i understand the maps can't be shared but the track i record is not the property of the map company... so all i am saying is we need a "easy" way to do that... that's it
    > @phask said:
    > Having the option to use iCloud storage to sync data between devices would be great. Not sure what type of licensing implications there may be though.
    >
    > As for MapBox Street, it is already at 1.4% after about 20 minutes. Odd part is, trying to delete the Open Street Maps area that I started to download causes the app to crash over and over.

What model device are you running?
    > @chrisloomis said:
    > Maps stored through the basic in app subscription method will not be allowed to be shared device to device by the provider. In this case mapbox.
    >
    > i understand the maps can't be shared but the track i record is not the property of the map company... so all i am saying is we need a "easy" way to do that... that's it

Collections (Tracks, Routes and Markers) can all be airdropped, emailed, dropboxed and now File shared into your cloud between all devices using Apples new File app and system.
    @Damian_offthegrid the crash is happening on my MLQ32LL/A (iPad Pro 9.7" 128GB).
    yes... one at a time
    So far map downloads using MapBox Street has worked great. Is it possible to allow more than 1KM beyond the trail route? Also, is it a bug that it shows up as kilometers rather than miles?

Also, I was finally able to finish the Open Street download, it took 4.5 days to download the mapping info for a 290 mile route.