Ask questions and learn!

Why did you take the overlay away and make it a $250 option? The ultimate bait and switch.

If this is not changed I am going to look at all my GPS option again. Previous to this i was a fan. I paid money for all my MBtiles files to use on your app. Now maybe a lowrance makes more sense. At least its a one time fee then. i understand its a business and may have needed to be done, its just that as the consumer this definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Answers

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 618Administrator, Moderator admin
    As we currently build up the platform and work alongside our larger backend mapping partners, the overlay feature had to be moved to the Pro Pack subscription. This capability is a MBTile feature designed by these specific partners and was intended for data overlay use and for massive offline mapping through larger contracts. It was never intended for mass base mapping through outside providers. We also used it for simple overlays of events through contracts with the event organizers.

These major outside providers are currently increasing pricing by a significant amount this November for these capabilities. With a lot of app manufacturers currently taking advantage of mass users with this lower pricing. You will see all of these more mainstream and general use GPS applications over the next few months dropping these higher end offline mapping options, as they cannot afford to keep it for a lower $20 a year subscription rate. In fact, some have announced and dropped this capability already. Otherwise these were great options, for general use, and I would have suggested them as a possibility.

LEADNAV will continue to focus on professional use while offering the best capabilities available for our specific users. The majority of the subscription covers the costs of all these outside services and as we promote, if you are online in a cellular environment then the core $20 LEADNAV application is a great option. However if you are offline then you will need a subscription. On foot you can get away with Advanced pack for smaller areas and in a mobility platform you will want Pro pack for its larger ability to store and host offline map imagery and this MBTile feature owned by these outside providers.

I know this all doesn’t help you any and we appreciate you running the core $20 LEADNAV GPS application.

Over the past few months we have been working on pulling App subscriptions sales from the Apple store and into our own hands. This way we have more control over the sale of our app. (I personally pay $250 a year for Pro pack, and I own the app…) our control over this was officially launched last week. So now you can take advantage of the 15% discount for pro on our online store.

If not, again I do appreciate you running our core application and sorry for the changes.