Ask questions and learn!

Retina Scaling?

carloericarloeri Posts: 15Member
I get the feeling that the LeadNav app shows all maps in the full retina resolution, and that is why many of the maps labels are almost impossible to read except on zoom level 18.

I posted two examples below. In the first one the label text size is 12, and you can see how hard it is to read the labels on zoom level 15. In the second one I increased the label text size to 60 (!!!).

Is it possible to get some kind of "retina scaling" in the map viewer so my own maps, other custom maps and your Mapbox maps gets readable labels?

Comments

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 584Administrator, Moderator admin

Right now your pushing the limits of this core version of LEADNAV into some pretty advanced GIS applications which we are highly stoked about!

As you know about 8 years ago I was doing the same. Bending the rules and hacking what little apps there were available to enhance the mission. At that time it was just trying to backdoor the app to store offline map imagery... (Motion X)

We've come a long way.

However, currently LEADNAV GPS is an extremely low priced, public core version of what we are looking to provide through a future enterprise contract with an end user organization.

This public LEADNAV application is geared towards the masses...but we are ready to fine tune it for the organization requesting it!

We are aiming at an enterprise solution for the specific organization to meet their specific needs with this enterprise solution.

We are at a crossroads. We know we can and have built it better... for the operator. We just need to get the future funding or bump up the cost expediently to cater to our operators needs...and we are working on that. So spread the word!

Thank you for innovating!
  • carloericarloeri Posts: 15Member
    Ok, I understand.

One of the things I really like with LEADNAV is the map subs. with Mapbox. I've been a paying user with Mapbox long before I discovered LEADNAV, so that's why I am pushing to be able to use my own maps in the app, with Mapbox datasets with our own routes, POIs, specific compound layouts, custom icons and more. I know I could do this using Overlays in the LEADNAV app but as you understand it's much easier to handle huge datasets directly with Mapbox, smash the cache/offline maps storage in the app and download the new map when we have updated the dataset with new info.

The label size problem is mainly on the iPhone (in my case an 8 Plus). The pixel density on my phone is 401 ppi, compared to my iPad Pro's 264 ppi. This makes the labels on your Mapbox Street and Terrain really small on an iPhone, my older colleagues have issues with this... B)

I am going to do a big try to see what kind of alternatives Mapbox can provide when it comes to tile size and resolution, maybe there's a way.

I really hope you can get the funding you need! I am very sure you're heading in the right direction! I am doing my best to spread the word! :awesome:
  • Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 584Administrator, Moderator admin
    Some of it might be because your running newer MapBox vector based maps....? As were still in the legacy Mapbox backend.. either way the jump to the newer MapBox backend and adjustments in these will come in some form of LEADNAV enterprise licensing.