Ask questions and learn!

Saving map tiles/imagery

Is there a way to save all the downloaded map imagery onto my desktop so I can just drag and drop that imagery back onto my iPad when I do that same race the next year? So I won't have all that storage taken up on the iPad by leaving it there. Or is it better to redownload all imagery each time?

Comments

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 464Administrator, Moderator admin
    Yes by geeking out on a software program called MOBAC and by researching outside map types (most of the ones your going to want are not “authorized” for download use). This is a cost effective way to do it but requires a big computer and again some geek knowledge. This is a service we do for groups and teams under contract but is available to the general public.

Above this we can pull other sources of offline imagery down to 21 zoom and months/weeks old in mass but this bumps up to the $100k to million dollar range very quickly.

For $150 a year the in app consumer grade maps and current method of downloading you will find however to be the best economic way to do so
    It is best to do a trip/event/race then wipe it out when complete and resave for the next one
    MapBox is offering you this method of saving and storing map imagery for such a low cost by locking it down per device to protect their data from free public distribution. Can’t share it outside that iPad
  • spartaracingspartaracing Posts: 61Member

It is best to do a trip/event/race then wipe it out when complete and resave for the next one

You mean resave files (waypoints and such)?
    No resave background map imagery an delete after trip unless it’s a smaller area/place you frequent regularly like Moab
    Ok, seems that the current method is best then being as I'm not geeky. Thanks!
    You can backup Collections (gps) files as much as you want to File app, Dropbox or ur computer
    copy that, thanks. Yes I do that now and keeps my lead nav clean for when others are using it in the chase truck. They start playing with other files then they somehow manage to screw it up!