Ask questions and learn!

Speed of map download on "Follow Route"

Hi I'm trying to download map data using "Follow Route" (Pro Pack) but it is horrendously slow.

The larger routes are about 300Mb and it are taking hours. I've move to other high speed networks and nothing changes so it's clearly on the server end or it's harder at my end.

Using a brand-new iPad mini4 with 64GB over rarely fast wifi..

Suggestions..?

Comments

• bencalderbencalder Posts: 107Guest ✭✭

Hi I'm trying to download map data using "Follow Route" (Pro Pack) but it is horrendously slow.

The larger routes are about 300Mb and it are taking hours. I've move to other high speed networks and nothing changes so it's clearly on the server end or it's harder at my end.

Using a brand-new iPad mini4 with 64GB over rarely fast wifi..

Suggestions..?

Mapbox seems to rate-limit large, continuous download requests. Unfortunately there's nothing LeadNav can do to increase the speed.

You could try a different map type or adjusting your "Download Along Route" settings to request a smaller file size.
  • johnlcrainjohnlcrain Posts: 15Member
    I've already cut it down to 100m. Seems odd to pay $150 for an almost unusable service. There's no way to restart download if it crashes either that I can find.

What other map options are available offline for Baja?
    Looking at the app there really isn't another suitable option than Mapbox for the Baja, unless I'm missing something?

I've already cut it down to 100m. Seems odd to pay $150 for an almost unusable service. There's no way to restart download if it crashes either that I can find.

What other map options are available offline for Baja?

What zoom level are you attempting to download?

Looking at the app there really isn't another suitable option than Mapbox for the Baja, unless I'm missing something?

Mapbox Terrain provides a topographic view that a lot of our users choose over satellite.
    That's exactly what I am trying.. Gave in on Satellite almost immediately

It's extremely frustrating to have spent hundreds of dollars (Many of them with LeadNav) for a system that doesn't meet any kind of reasonable service level. Saying that your map provider, that I paid extra money to access, is deliberately making the service unusable seems an unacceptable answer.

At the current download rate I won't be able to use the device in the race next week.
    Tried 18 and 16 so far, neither really work
    Even at 18 We are only talking about 250MB on the section that I've not managed to get past. Any basic content supplier (I'm in the business) should be able to allow this to be pulled in a matter of minutes not hours. Even a rate limit of 512Kb a second would allow a download time in much less than 5 minutes..

Scandalously slow.

Being as your map supplier is not providing adequate service will you have a way of solving this in Ensenada?

Tried 18 and 16 so far, neither really work

Satellite imagery does not exist above zoom 16 in Baja. We have spoken to dozens of customers this week who have successfully downloaded imagery in preparation for NORRA. If you are literally unable to successfully complete a download then we need to diagnose whether the issue is hardware, software, or the network.

Is your iPad updated to the latest iOS? Is your LeadNav app updated? Have you tried over a different WiFi network?

We are running imagery download tests at the office at this very moment on a variety of devices and are not having problems completing a download.

Yes, we will be in Ensenada this weekend available to help.
    Yes iPad Update, LeadNav Updated, Tried multiple wifi networks.. Maybe I should do wipe of machine and start again but that's two days of work gone
    Is there a limit to how much can be in the cache?

Cleared the cache, which means I lost downloads but that made the new attempt much faster

Yes iPad Update, LeadNav Updated, Tried multiple wifi networks.. Maybe I should do wipe of machine and start again but that's two days of work gone

We just downloaded 16 zoom, 100m radius for every special stage (non-transit stage) on three different devices in under an hour. Two days is far too long for the short lengths of these routes and is extremely abnormal behavior.

Is there a limit to how much can be in the cache?

Cleared the cache, which means I lost downloads but that made the new attempt much faster

Please keep us updated. Tomorrow is our last day in the office before we head down to Baja, so we will probably be slow to respond to support requests. If you are unable to complete your imagery download please find us in Ensenada.
    The other thing I found is that you need to lock rotation. A change of rotation on iPad stops download.

Am wondering if somehow a file was corrupted. Still not fast but much faster than it was
    Yup I'll find you down there. If I can figure out what's causing it I'll write it up and send it in.