Ask questions and learn!

Location Tracking

alexralexr Posts: 18Member ✭✭
Question regarding the Locational Tracking,

It seems it is required to turn on cell connect and background location tracking each time the app is opened and closed.
Is this the way the system is designed or am i missing something??

Comments

• bencalderbencalder Posts: 107Guest ✭✭
    alexr said:

Question regarding the Locational Tracking,

It seems it is required to turn on cell connect and background location tracking each time the app is opened and closed.
    Is this the way the system is designed or am i missing something??

It's by design. We decided that if you have purposefully killed the app from running in the background that you probably don't want location tracking to be on when the app is fired back up.

However, if you just put the app into the background and re-open it the settings will remain unchanged.

We'd love to hear your thoughts/feedback on it though!
  • alexralexr Posts: 18Member ✭✭
    understand, it has created an issue for our event, 20 vehicles tracked via LeadNav as people would shut down and then not remember to select share location each time. Thus creating a frustration to call and remind them.
    My feeling is each time LeadNav is used, it is almost in the same environment each time, e.g. Event week therefore to reset this setting every time is frustrating.
    Maybe overcome by a sharing location light in the hud to remind users they are or aren't sharing.
    A nice to have would be to input a LeadNav name as this is often different from the phone name, which we initially discovered a large number of phones were all called iPhone from the default. Names used on event are very different to day to day e.g. We refer to users as OV1 (official vehicle 1) or CAT3, MW7 (Mobile Workshop) etc
  • bencalderbencalder Posts: 107Guest ✭✭
    alexr said:

understand, it has created an issue for our event, 20 vehicles tracked via LeadNav as people would shut down and then not remember to select share location each time. Thus creating a frustration to call and remind them.
    My feeling is each time LeadNav is used, it is almost in the same environment each time, e.g. Event week therefore to reset this setting every time is frustrating.
    Maybe overcome by a sharing location light in the hud to remind users they are or aren't sharing.
    A nice to have would be to input a LeadNav name as this is often different from the phone name, which we initially discovered a large number of phones were all called iPhone from the default. Names used on event are very different to day to day e.g. We refer to users as OV1 (official vehicle 1) or CAT3, MW7 (Mobile Workshop) etc

Thanks for the notes.

Is there a specific reason why your event participants are killing the app instead of simply putting it into the background?

Location Tracking is a brand-new feature in LeadNav, so it will continue to evolve this year as we learn more and expand the capabilities. Setting a custom name is something we're considering.
  • alexralexr Posts: 18Member ✭✭
    When running the app on mobiles as they use the phones to take video and when walking around continually get distance to next waypoint announced.

I do realize the pause button on iPad, but it is also triggered through power issues, or a crash that can reset the program.
  • TOwenTOwen Posts: 3Member
    I have a more basic requirements question around location tracking. For multiple vehicles using LeadNav on the same route what is required to "see" one another? More specifically do you need more than the GPS signal?
    I ask as we will have multiple vehicles on a long trip running LeadNav in remote areas with little to no cellular coverage. In fact I have download the Maps for background imagery and assume I will need to be in airplane mode to see it. Is it possible to still see other cars without Cellular?
  • Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 575Administrator, Moderator admin
    The vehicles that won’t have cellular...meaning all of them generally if off-roading off the grid would need our iridium satellite equipment and ongoing satellite service.

So roughly $1200 worth of hardware and $155-175 a month per vehicle.

If you had cell then not needed
  • Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 575Administrator, Moderator admin
    So basically if you can’t text or call each other you can’t track each other without a satellite connection... we provide that capability and texting n calling through those packages
  • TOwenTOwen Posts: 3Member
    Thank you Damian, that really helps.