Ask questions and learn!

Importing KMZ/KML Files

Jduncan1985Jduncan1985 Posts: 5Member
edited December 2016 in New Member Introductions
I am having trouble with importing KMZ/KML files from Google Earth. I have converted them to GPX files using GPS Visualizer, but for some reason when I go to import them into my Ipad, only the waypoints or tracks will show, I cant get both to show up at the same time. I have to import two different files and then switch between each file to either see the tracks or waypoints, for instance I have the Mojave Road in google earth with tracks and waypoints, Id like to see it all as one file. Other than that this is by far the best GPS I have ever used.

Comments

• Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid admin Posts: 636Administrator, Moderator admin
    > @Jduncan1985 said:
    > I am having trouble with importing KMZ/KML files from Google Earth. I have converted them to GPX files using GPS Visualizer, but for some reason when I go to import them into my Ipad, only the waypoints or tracks will show, I cant get both to show up at the same time. I have to import two different files and then switch between each file to either see the tracks or waypoints, for instance I have the Mojave Road in google earth with tracks and waypoints, Id like to see it all as one file. Other than that this is by far the best GPS I have ever used.

Hmmmm let's bump this over to the proper category and out of new member intros and discuss...

If converted your tracks should come in and any points of interest (Markers) should default in as black diamonds with names.

Then you can convert track to routes in LEADNAV to edit in audio/visual Waypoints ...cut splice...or if it's a mess of blue lines everywhere you can jam out a quick red route over the path you want to take...

In the near future these trail systems are going to be baked into the background like a nice labeled map...

But anyway let's discuss in proper category. Possibly send us the gpx n KMZ to take a look at

Damian
  • Jduncan1985Jduncan1985 Posts: 5Member
    I think I am having a problem with saving the file as the original KML file. When I save the entire file for converting. The file only comes out as a 1kb file, but if I go to the actual waypoints or route, then the file is much larger.
  • Jduncan1985Jduncan1985 Posts: 5Member
    This is where I got the file that I am trying to import into leadnav. http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/File:Mojave_Road.kmz