Ask questions and learn!

Looking Forward to upcoming Android version!

Hello everybody,

Pretty excited to hear that LeadNav is coming out with an Andriod version. I have been using ViewRanger GPS and sometimes PDF Maps on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" for sometime now but it's often cumbersome to use some of the time. ViewRanger is good for the average route but nowhere near the same level as LeadNav. I am also excited because because Samsung has just released a new 7" Tablet that fully supports OTG, whereas the Galaxy Tab 4 7" did not. That means for me I will be able to use an external antenna! I'm very excited about that as well! I do a lot of back county travel in the High Deserts of California, rock crawl and also chase/and pit for a Class 1 and Class 10 car.

Comments

• 95_4runner95_4runner Posts: 7Member
    I want to buy a new tablet in hopes of beta testing the new Android version and/or the debut of it. I have mentioned this in my introduction post and beta test request post without response. I'm posting here in hopes of getting some discussion going on this subject.
    What is the model of the new Samsung tablet just released?
    I am also anxiously awaiting an update on the Android app development and it's release. The only mention is spring of 2016. In Arizona it is already summer. I'm just getting antsy
  • MonkeyProofMonkeyProof Posts: 4Member
    The new model is called The Galaxy Tab A. Available in 7" 8" and 9.1". All three models supports OTG which is great. I believe it was released late March. I personally think the 7" is an ideal size for a tablet that's dedicated for nav in a general overland or chase application. I would get more into this but I'm about to start a quick day run from Pioneer Town to Big Bear.

The 7" version is on sale at Best Buy for 129.99 but the sale ends tonight.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-7-8gb-white/4943605.p?id=bb4943605&skuId=4943605

Here's the link to the Samsung website..
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SM-T280NZKAXARnull
    null
    Thanks! I'll check them out. I look forward to more discussion on this topic
    The Galaxy Tab A 7" seems to be perfect for dedicated navigation and the price is right. Are you sure it has OTG capability? I would want it even if it weren't required for Android LeadNav. I would like to hear what specs are needed for the upcoming Android version (have asked before). I also have asked to be a beta tester and have had no response. Hoping I will get some answers to both soon. I am stuck by my own choice because I choose not to use Apple products.
  • MonkeyProofMonkeyProof Posts: 4Member
    I talked to 2 different reps just to make sure and both confirmed that the new Tab A 7" is OTG compatible. And can also accepts a microsd card up to 200gb.
  • Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 587Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hate to burst the bubble but here is are current status with Android

forum.leadnavsystems.com/discussion/117/android-development-put-on-hold#latest

To be Continued....
    Bubble has burst. What I have always disliked about Apple products is what seems to be the issue with Android products. I'll have to check the forum for help on the least expensive, smaller sized Apple tablet that works well with LeadNav? We'll see what happens, I still prefer Android
  • GingerHulkGingerHulk Posts: 1Member
    D-LeadNav said:

To be Continued....

Any updates on this?
  • Damian_offthegridDamian_offthegrid Posts: 587Administrator, Moderator admin

D-LeadNav said:

To be Continued....

Any updates on this?
    No Android in the near future. It currently cannot support what we are doing. It is not stable enough between platforms and currently not worth the investment. Our military applications are also about to switch over to Apple due to this.

Maybe when Samsung breaks away from Android and finishes their own operating system... that they are currently messing around with...maybe then we will relook at attacking it. However, technically that would not be for Android either..

Only option we could see in the near future is for us to build a extremely dumbed down version of LEADNAV for the Android platform....

We build an advanced planning and GPS interface that is relied upon in some extreme environments at a professional level. Currently that is only made possible by the Apple device and its own operations system working together perfectly.

Sorry